Solutions to remote work challenges.
Non-verbal communications missing
- use web cam
- use conference rooms where people present can read the body language of others in the conference room and add color/interpretations to words
- have in-presence (everyone in the same place) team building activities to bond as a team so member understand each other better
Why do we have remote workers?
- available skill pool is increased
- have people close to physical resources such as servers/data centers
- better, more convenient time zone coverage
How do we create presence for remote workers?
- have remote workers create a compelling work space for themselves
- create effective feedback loop for remote workers
- bring team together physically for team building activities
- establish continuous presence between remote workers and co-located workers
- let remote workers share weather of local items of interest during stand-ups for connection purposes
- encourage people to be who they are, to be authentic